WHAT: We are investigating: What is the city’s best independent doughnut shop?
Rules: Inside the city limits. Doughnut shops only– no general-purpose bakeries. And we’re skipping a couple of also-rans on the North Side. Sorry.
WHEN: EARLY Friday morning. Starting at like 6.
WHERE: South Side old-school joints (Old Fashioned, Dat Donut, Huck Finn), Near North new-school spot (Firecakes, Do-Rite, Glazed and Infused, Doughnut Vault), and possibly one roving truck (Beaver):
* David Haynes, co-author of The Beat Cop’s Guide to Chicago Eats and a Chicago Police Lieutenant
* Natalie Moore, WBEZ’s South Side Bureau chief, a.k.a. public radio’s South Side Lois Lane. Because the South Side is where it’s at, doughnut-wise.
* Don Hall, WBEZ’s director of live events– one of the city’s top masters of ceremonies.
* Logan Jaffe, Curious City’s Multimedia Ninja.
* Me. Dan Weissmann, doughnut afficionado.
And you? Come along, or follow us on Twitter.